Surge Cadets includes members up to age 15 with little or no color guard experience.
Where do we compete?
Surge Cadets will compete in the Independent Cadet Class of TIA and the Independent Junior Class of MAIN. They will do approximately ten competitions through South Jersey and Pennsylvania, culminating with the TIA finals in Wildwood. Competing at Wildwood will be an extra cost due to fees charged to us through the organization and gym rental.
When and where will we practice?
Practices will be from approximately 4:00-5:30 Tuesday and Thursday at Oaklyn Public School. Some Sunday late afternoon/early evening practices may be scheduled. Members will be given advance notice of the need for any Sunday practices. Any rehearsals on weekends will be at rented gyms in the area.
What should I wear to rehearsals?
Please wear comfortable clothes that are easy to move in. Water bottles are a good idea.
What are the expectations for practice?
Members are expected to attend practice and open communication is key. The staff wishes to be flexible (especially at such young ages), so please let us know whenever conflicts arise. Since this is a team activity and every member is an important part of the team, it’s helpful to know in advance of any competitions that you will need to miss.
Parents are encouraged to drop off their children. We welcome interested parents to come towards the end of practice to see what was learned in that session. If you do need to come early, please watch quietly from the back. Most of the coaches are moms and we can certainly recognize the need to want to jump in to help your child, but please refrain from making corrections during practice. Please feel free to ask the coaches questions or discuss your child’s behavior or performance at any time.
- Be kind and supportive to all members. We don’t laugh at the frustrations of others. We do cheer the effort and accomplishments of all. Sometimes it may be your turn to do something special in the show and sometimes it may be someone else’s turn.
- Please be quiet when a coach is giving directions or teaching. We know you want to talk and we love that you love each other, but we have limited practice time. We have so many fun things to teach you! We are fortunate to have gym time in Oaklyn and we sometimes pay very high rates for our gym time. Please don’t waste the time by not paying attention.
- Please stay in the area designated to you by the coach. Moving around while heavy rifles and large sticks are flying around can be dangerous!
- We take water and bathroom breaks as a group. Please try to wait for the group breaks, but feel free to raise your hand and ask if you have a need outside of break time. Please note that extended breaks taken by individuals because they are feeling grumpy or are unwilling to learn can be detrimental to their part in the show. We want to continually reward those that work diligently and with a positive attitude.
- Some of our equipment is borrowed from other school districts. Please treat both Surge’s equipment and the borrowed equipment with care!
- Please remain with the group! This is especially important during parades and at our competition sites. We want to keep everybody safe and together at all times. Please check out with a coach when you leave with a parent on competition days.
- Please remember that you are representing the Surge organization, the town of Oaklyn, your parents, and yourselves! We want to maintain a classy, friendly, supportive reputation. Please be supportive of other groups, especially if the result isn’t in our favor. Please be gracious in any defeats and encouraging and supportive to others in our wins. Know that the coaches will always fight for you in the judges’ room! But when in public or on social media, please keep a kind and considerate presence towards all.
- And possibly most importantly, please try your best, try to be open to learning new things, and have fun! The coaches think you are all wonderful people and we are so excited for you to have a wonderful season!